The theatres were jam-packed with family movies this year — too many for me to catch them all! With that said, I’ve compiled a list of my top 5 favourite family flicks of 2011. But keep in mind, if your picks didn’t make the cut, it’s likely because I haven’t had the pleasure of viewing them yet. Trust me, this girl plans on spending some time in 2012 catching up on more must-sees from 2011.
1. The Smurfs – These little blue creatures get trapped in NYC and only a blue moon can get them back to Smurf Village. The cute characters were a hit with kids and the overall story is entertaining enough for the parents. (Suitable for 4 years+)
2. Gnomeo and Juliet – Colourful, eye-grabbing animation made this flick an easy hit with kids. And both parents and children will enjoy the Elton John music. Plus, it’s a great way to introduce your kids to this classic tale, but with a happier ending. (Suitable for 3 years+)
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – Those famous, furry chippers and chipettes sing and dance their way through new trouble and adventures. Don’t worry folks, with only one scary scene and tons of music and dancing, this flick makes for a great time for the whole family. (Suitable for 5 years+)
4. We Bought a Zoo – This true story is a touching tale about a single father who moves himself and two children to an abandoned, rundown zoo. It’s a real tearjerker (in my case) and full of great performances by both human and animal actors. This movie takes the whole family on an inspiring and entertaining adventure—and no one will be able to resist the real-life animals in the film. (Suitable for 7 years+)
5. The Muppets – These wacky Muppets are ready to win over a new generation of audiences, as Kermit brings the gang back together to put on a very special musical performance. This film is a trip down memory lane for the parents and hopefully a wildly entertaining experience for the kids. (Suitable for 7-years+)