What you’ll need
- 1/2 cup of margarine or butter
- 10 cups marshmallows
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup large chocolate candy melts
- 1 cup large and small white candy melts
- Red fruit leather, formed into bow tie shape
- 1 black jelly bean for nose
- black icing for decoration
- medium-sized non-stick saucepan
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- small (2-in), medium (2.5-in) and large (3-in) round cookie cutters
- measuring spoons and cups
- 5-in round pan
- 13×9-in pan
1. Make two batches of the Original Rice Krispies Treats recipe (find it here or on the side of your cereal box)
2. Fill a 5-in round pan with some of the Rice Krispies mixture. Let it cool for 3-5 min.
3. Working with lightly buttered palms, gently pat down and smooth out the top. Let cool 15 min more. This will be used for the teddy bear’s head.
4. Repeat with 13×9-in pan. Let cool 15 min then transfer to a cutting board. This will be cut up for the teddy bear’s body.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the 13×9-in block across the width into two halves, with one half slightly larger than the other.
6. Cut the smaller portion horizontally in half. From each of these two smaller pieces, cut the corners off, but only from one side (they will now look like six-sided little houses). This will be the teddy bear’s torso. Set them aside.
7. Working with the larger portion, measure about two inches in from one side and cut down vertically. Now cut this two-inch strip in half horizontally, so you’re left with two rectangles. These will be the teddy bear’s arms.
8. Working with the remaining rectangle, use a large round cookie cutter for two feet. Do the same with a medium round cookie cutter for one snout and small round cookie cutter for two legs. Use the small cookie cutter to cut an addition piece, then cut in half for ears.
9. Use your hands to shape all the rounds into ovals.
10. In a small bowl, melt chocolate candy melts in the microwave, 1-2 min, stirring halfway through. This will be used to glue teddy together.
11. Get building!
For the head:
Dab candy melt onto the straight edge of each ear and secure on the head. Place the eyes and snout to make the face. Add two small white candy melt eyes and a black jellybean nose, securing with more candy melt. Use black icing to add detail.
For the body:
Use candy melt to hold house-shaped body pieces together, stacking one on top of the other. Add the fruit leather bow tie at the top of the “house,” using candy melt to secure.
For feet and legs:
Place a large white candy melt in the centre of each large oval, using candy melt to secure. These will be the teddy bear’s foot pads. Turn large ovals over (candy melt side down), and secure a small oval to the top of each with candy melt.
Put teddy together:
Stand the body up, and secure arms, legs and head with candy melt. Bear-y good!
Share a photo of your creation on social media using #TreatsForToys and Rice Krispies* will donate a toy to a kid in need.
To learn more, visit treatsfortoys.ca
*© 2017, Trademark of Kellogg Company used under licence by Kellogg Canada Inc.