1. The Party Bazaar Make sure to hit up this locally owned costume shop early—the closer to Halloween it is, the more crowded it gets. If you’re not sure what you want, check out the online catalogue to find some inspiration and see if it’s in stock. The store offers something for every taste, from storybook characters like Snow White and Dorothy to movie villains like Darth Vader and Evil Minions. There’s plenty of dress-up gear for pets, too.
1296 Station Street, 604-873-5241
2. Boo La La A splurge-worthy rental will ensure a very authentic costume, and this shop doesn’t disappoint! With thousands of high-quality, vintage disguises suited to older kids and adults, the store offers something from every era, from amazing flapper dresses to gorgeous 1950s frocks to intricate Renaissance getups. Check out the store’s line of designer wigs, antlers and unicorn headbands. It’s stocked with pretty amazing Maleficent and Game of Thrones gear as well.
152 East 2nd Street, 2nd floor 604-986-4880 boolalacostumes.com
3. Thomas FX Not for the faint of heart, this spooky shop has a section dedicated solely to the undead, where fright seekers will find a large selection of zombie costumes (there are severed limbs galore!). Specializing in Halloween decor and accessories, the shop is frequented by set stylists shopping for films. Check out the Dark Zone, which hosts a five-headed creature, tombstones, faux intestines, bloody bandages, fangs and animatronic props like horrifying clowns and bloody, severed torsos.
140 Riverside Drive West, 604-929-5455 thomasfx.com
4. More Madness Costumes About a 30-minute jaunt from downtown Vancouver, this packed-to-the-rafters warehouse is worthy of the trek. With everything you need to outfit the whole family, from infants to adults, this awesomely tacky spot has aisles and aisles of goodies, so give yourself lots of time to look. With costumes from Marie Antoinette to Harry Potter, the store has something for everyone—its motto is “If we don’t have it, we’ll make it for you,” so you know you’re in good hands.
5558 Lane Street, Burnaby, 604-734-8865
5. Little Miss Vintage Parents seeking a retro, rockabilly or unique look will love sifting through this awesome shop. There’s everything you need to put together a Betty Draper look, a beatnik facade or a totally ’80s disguise. The staff are friendly and will keep an eye out for customers’ requests when they go picking if you email them with what you’re looking for.
931 Commercial Drive, 604-255-3554 littlemissvintage.com
6. Dressew Supply Ready-made costumes and aisle upon aisle of assorted fabric for making your own one-of-a-kind guise are available at this independent shop. Make sure to give yourself time to browse, though. The store has everything you need for Halloween, from masks and feather boas to rubber chickens and creepy decor to create your very own haunted house.
337 West Hastings Street,
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners