1. Indulge in an unexpected treat like going out for dessert in your pyjamas
2. Play road hockey
3. Get to know a baby
4. Give something to charity
5. Put on a show for your parents
6. Play with mom’s makeup
7. Throw a snowball
• Sometimes the white stuff just begs to be hurled — at a tree or a wall, of course, not a person!
8. Stay up until midnight
9. Buy something with your own money
10. Teach a younger kid how to do something cool
11. Have a crush
12. Clean your room without being asked
13. Learn how to swim, bike and skate
14. Spend a school day playing hooky with mom or dad
• Explore the local museum, catch a movie or just hang out together.
15. Write a thank-you card
16. Say “I’m sorry” and mean it
17. Cut your dolls hair (or your own)
18. Read a classic kids’ book
• Check out our age-by-age reading guide
19. Have a sleepover with Grandma or another relative (without mom or dad around)
20. Cook something by yourself
• Try these kid-friendly recipes: Baked Bean Wrap; Four-Square Pizza; David’s Mother’s 5-Minute Tomato Sauce; Banana Dog.
21. Stand right up front to watch a parade
22. Go camping (or at least sleep outdoors in a tent)
23. Have a really good friend
24. Get super close to an animal that isn’t the family pet
• Catch a frog at the cottage.
• Pet a snake. (Where? Check reptilia.org.)
• Swim with sea lions. (Where? Check westedmall.com/play.)
25. Tell a joke
• For little kids, try Laugh with Chirp by Bob Kain.
• For big kids, try Jokelopedia by Ilana Weitzman.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.