If anyone has been on Facebook or Twitter within the past 24 hours, you’ll see the momentum is building around probably one of the best ideas since Betty White hosted Saturday Night Live.
The Muppets to host the Oscars 2012? That’s right, folks. And if you’re wondering why this group of misfits would bring the house down, here are my top 10 reasons:
1. They’ve been preparing for a gig of this calibre their whole lives — the gang has appeared in nine movies, including this year’s The Muppets!
2. They’ve made numerous guest star appearances at the awards through the years. Evidence:
3. Statler and Waldorf could host the red carpet pre-show — move over Joan and Melissa!
4. Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem would perform at no extra charge.
5. Meryl Sheep and Meryl Streep might end up in the same room at the same time, and it would be amazing.
6. You know you want to see Miss Piggy strut herself down the red carpet.
7. Kermit and Piggy > Franco and Hathaway. Just saying.
8. Fozzie could take a stab at the opening monologue.
9. Pepe would finally get the recognition he deserves, after all, people, he’s the King Prawn.
10. Kermit could end the night with a rendition of “Rainbow Connection,” thus reducing even the most stoned-faced Hollywood actors to tears (watch out, Robert De Niro).