1. DaycareBear.ca Search anywhere in Canada by postal code. You can filter by available daycare spots, generating a map of openings right now, or in the month you need. (In Quebec, the site is magarderie.com.)
2. WeeWatch.com This Ontario-only organization hooks you up with pre-vetted home daycares that are members of the Wee Watch network. The matchmaking is mostly conducted over the phone, and Wee Watch processes all fees and deposits.
3. NanniesOnCall.com Pay-as-you-go, pre-screened nannies available 24/7; you can also buy larger “batches” of multiple babysitting dates at a time. Available in Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria.
5. CubbySpot A new app founded by two Canadian parents lets you search 11,000 home- and centre-based daycares across the country, from Victoria to Halifax. You can set up a profile for your kid and star your “favourite” daycares; some of the providers allow you to join the waiting list or register applications from within CubbySpot. Free, itunes.ca
6. InaPinch.ca Pre-screened backup child care and babysitting (Toronto only) from $18 per hour with a four-hour minimum. It’s affiliated with Wee Care Placement Agency, a nanny placement service.
7. BookJane This app is GTA-only for now. Parents can book qualified, fully vetted "Janes" on-demand using filters such as years of experience, credentials, reviews or language. The built-in chat feature also allows users to chat with potential caregivers and the location tracker lets you keep an eye on your caregiver while they're on the job. Free, itunes.ca
A version of this article appeared in our Summer 2016 issue with the headline, "Sites and apps," p. 68
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners