Juan Rico/Fame Pictures
Can celebrity marriages work these days? After all the splits this year, one would think not. But celebs are still trying, still getting married and trying to -- in the words of Tim Gunn (laaaaa!) -- make it work.
Katy Perry and Russel Brand (whom, FYI, I now LOVE after seeing him in Get Him to the Greek) are doing what they can from the get-go to make it work. They got married in India just last month and have a list of marriage rules specifically designed for celebrity couples like you and me. Checkit!
1. Buy a $2.88 million New York apartment -- complete with personal chef -- situated smack-dab in the middle of London and Los Angeles and convenient for both. Says a source for Britain's Grazia Magazine: "Russell's often in London with work and Katy in Los Angeles. They wanted somewhere slap bang in the middle so they never have to sleep apart for more than seven days."
2. Do what Brad Pitt and Angelina do: "Russell is aware that many famous couples split because of work demands and he pointed to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as an example of how to make it work."
3. See each other at least once a week.
4. Start their family next year. Squee! According to Grazia, Russell (35) is eager ("broody") to get started, but Katy (26) wants to wait -- so they, again, arrived smack-dab in the middle with a "compromise" of next year. We'll be waiting!
5. Cook for your man. "Neither Russell nor Katy can cook, but he has told her that one of his favourite things in life is breakfast in bed.... So Katy has agreed to start making Russell breakfast every Sunday."
6. Continue weekly sessions with relationship therapist.
7. No alcohol or racy mags allowed in the house.
This all sounds doable.... Except if the one time you see each other per week is in the marriage counselor's office -- that's no fun. But rules also make me nervous because, you know what they say, they're made to be broken.
Still Hollywood marriages are notoriously fragile -- as we've seen in the past couple of months alone. So it's great that they're making such a concerted (and very public!) effort.
What do you think? Do you have marriage rules?
Photo: Juan Rico/Fame Pictures
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners