People around the world were saddened to hear of the passing of Alan Rickman. The 69-year-old British actor died Thursday, January 14 after a battle with cancer. The outpouring of grief on social media, from fans both young and old, show the effect his performances had on audiences. Who could forget his roles in Truly, Madly, Deeply (1990), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991), Sense & Sensibility (1995) and Love Actually (2003)?
Among the kid set, however, Rickman is most well-know for his role in the Harry Potter films. Remember what it was like see Professor Severus Snape bully Harry Potter on the big screen, all while knowing how much he'd loved Harry's mom Lily? How many friendships did you lose over the age old debate, "To love or not to love Snape"?
Here are a few of his most memorable quotes, both on and off screen.
1. "Always." With that single word he touched the hearts of millions of Harry Potter fans and redefined love for generations to come.
2. "Control your emotions. Discipline your minds." Whether the students at Hogwarts loved him or loathed him, there's no denying he provided some great life lessons.
3. "Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair." See? Life lessons all over the place.
4. "Look at me... You have your mother's eyes." No, really. His adoration for Harry's mom, Lily, made it impossible not to love Snape.
5. "He was probably the bravest man I ever knew." OK, so this isn't a Snape quote, but it's a line Harry Potter fans adore: 19 years after the events of J.K. Rowling's books, Harry reveals to his son the two men he was named after—Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, the aforementioned "bravest man" Harry had ever known. Cue tears.
6. “My parents certainly didn’t have anything to do with the theatre. I’m some kind of accident.” Well, accident or not, he was undeniably one of the best things to happen to the stage and film. We will miss you, Alan.
With moments like these to keep his memory alive, is there a chance the world will ever forget him?