On trend styles
1. A role (or two) of washi tape and some wall space is all you need to create this cute growth chart. Mark your kiddo's height along the trunk as he grows and fill the branches with snapshots of every gorgeous stage. So simple, right?
3. Don’t feel you have to hang artwork on the nursery walls. Instead try fun decals, like these ones that peel right off without ruining your paint job. Or hang garlands of pennants, pompoms or tassels. Just be sure to hang them out of baby’s reach to avoid choking hazards. Ferm Living Mini Hearts Wall Stickers, $26, modernkaribou.ca>
Nursery essentials Make your wee one’s room comfortable and cozy with these key items.
3. Sleep sack Skip the blankets for now. Your baby will be warm and safe snoozing in this sack. Kissing Squirrels Anorak Grobag, $55, well.ca>
4. Video monitor Keep an eye on things with a smartphone-compatible video monitor. Withings Smart Baby Monitor, $250, indigo.ca>
5. Crib Consider one that converts into a toddler bed for longer use. Gonatt Crib, $249, ikea.ca>
6. Humidifier Avoid dry skin and cold bugs by running a cool-mist humidifier. Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, $70, amazon.ca>
7. Changing pad A portable pad, rather than a change table, can easily move around the house as needed. Keekaroo Peanut Changing Pad, $120, babyjoy.ca>
8. Diaper disposal A good bin will help keep the nursery smelling fresh. Ubbi Diaper Pail, $90, snugglebugz.ca>
1 Look 5 Ways We love mixing soft, cuddly blankets and fun animal pillows. Here are five cute combos.
Pony Love Pony Love quilted pillow cover, $50 + everyday blanket, $125, littleauggie.com
Stay safe: These adorable accessories are great nursery accents, but don't put them in your baby's crib just yet. Experts say a light blanket is fine around seven months, when your baby can confidently roll, and a pillow can be used around two years of age. In the meantime, they look cozy on a rocking chair.
A version of this article appeared in our February 2014 issue with the headline “A room of their own,” p. 60-5.
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners