The best way to clean up a poopsplosion?
1. After getting your gag reflex in check, take an old spoon and scrape off as much of the poop as possible. Soak the clothing in one litre of lukewarm water with a half-teaspoon of dishwashing liquid (you can also add a tablespoon of ammonia, if you have it on hand). After 15 minutes, gently rub the stain from the back of the fabric to loosen particles. Let soak for at least another 15 minutes, rinse and then soak using a stain remover with enzymes for at least 30 minutes before laundering with bleach (if safe for the fabric) or oxygen bleach. —Lauren F.B.
2. Sunlight! It takes out every poop stain. Just rinse off solids, scrub with soap and put out into the sun until dry. Then wash with the next load of baby laundry. — Veronique T.
3. Everything and everybody goes in the shower.— Eveleen S.
4. Pull onesies down from the shoulders—the side flaps on the shoulders are meant for this. Always have small plastic bags on hand (dog poop bags work great) to put the soiled clothes in, and soak, soak, soak in OxiClean. —Margaret F.
5. If you’re going to go with cloth diapers, I salute you! While you can technically throw soiled diapers straight in the wash, some people use spray bottles or even postpartum peri bottles to rinse off poop beforehand. If that’s something you’d be into, or if you’re handwashing, consider investing in a more powerful diaper sprayer that attaches to the plumbing behind your toilet. —Claire S.
6. Bedsheet lasagna: Layer multiple crib sheets with waterproof sheet protectors. Oh, your baby threw up, pooped or peed the bed at 2 a.m.? No problem. Take off the wet layer, get some new PJs and everyone’s back to sleep quickly. —Tara P.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.