Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission and Edgewell Personal Care Canada have jointly recalled approximately 5.5 million units of their popular Playtex Mealtime plates and bowls due to a potential choking hazard.
The recall involves white polypropylene Playtex plates and bowls with colourful designs printed on the inside, a coloured rim on top, and a non-slip bottom. They were sold separately and in sets, along with cups and cutlery. Here are the affected products:
- Playtex DC Superfriends Bowls, 3 count, UPC 078300014409
- Playtex DC Superfriends Plates, 2 count, UPC 078300014416
- Playtex DC Superfriends Mealtime Set, UPC 078300014423
- Playtex Bowls, 3 count, UPC 078300059110
- Playtex Plates, 2 count, UPC 078300059134
- Playtex Bowls, 6 count, UPC 078300007449
- Playtex Plates, 4 count, UPC 078300007456
- Playtex Toddler Mealtime Set, UPC 078300067375
The clear plastic layer over the graphics can peel or bubble from the surface of the plates or bowls, thus posing a potential choking hazard to children. As of September 2017, the company has received four reports of choking in Canada, and no reports of serious injuries. In the United States, the company has not received any reports of incidents or injuries.
Approximately 1.9 million units of the affected products were sold in Canada, and approximately 3.6 million units were distributed in the United States, between January 2010 and August 2017.
What should you do?
If you have one of the affected products, you should stop using it immediately and return the products to Edgewell for a full refund. For more information, you can contact the company by telephone toll-free at 1-888-220-2075 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST Mondays to Fridays. You may also visit Playtex’s website for instructions.