Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Vegan Tofu Scramble TacosBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Tofu is a convincing scrambled egg stand-in thanks to mild, golden turmeric.
- 1 350-g block extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric , optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned black beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp lime juice , divided
- 1 avocado , pitted and peeled
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 6-8 small tortillas , flour or corn
- plum tomatoes , diced
- Pat tofu dry with paper towels. Transfer to a medium bowl and crumble into coarse pieces.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then onion and pepper. Cook until browned, about 6 min. Stir in chili powder, turmeric and salt. Cook for 1 min. Stir in black beans and tofu. Continue stirring until warmed through, about 2 min. Stir in 1 tbsp lime juice.
- Mash avocado with garlic and remaining 1 tbsp lime juice in a small bowl until smooth. Spread on each tortilla. Layer scrambled tofu down the centre of tortillas. Top with tomatoes. Fold up like tacos to serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 42 g,
- 19 g,
- 9 g,
- 650 mg.