This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
Turkey-stuffed pitas update sandwich night
- 500 g ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed or finely chopped, divided
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- black pepper , to taste
- 3 large whole wheat pita breads
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- sliced cucumbers
- sliced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, half the garlic, 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt, and pepper. Spoon equal amounts of mixture into the 12 compartments of a muffin tray. Bake 15-17 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. At the same time, warm foil-wrapped pitas in the oven.
- For sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together tahini and lemon juice to create a stiff paste. Stir in water to make a smooth, runny sauce (if you’d like a thinner sauce, add more water). Season with remaining garlic, 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt, and paprika.
- To serve, slice pitas in half. Stuff each half with 2 turkey muffins, cucumbers and tomatoes, and drizzle with sauce.
- Makes 6 sandwiches.
- In 1 sandwich: 272 calories, 19.5 g protein, 8.9 g fat, 30.1 carbohydrates, 2.9 mg iron