Fearless Fried Chicken
This article has not been rated yet.
This moist, oven-baked chicken will make you want to give up the high-fat variety.
, halves, drumsticks or thighs
1/2 to 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a wire rack on a broiling pan or baking sheet lined with foil for easy cleanup. Remove skin and any clinging fat from chicken pieces and discard.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg white with buttermilk. (No buttermilk? Substitute 1⁄2 cup/125 mL milk with 1 tsp/5 mL lemon juice or vinegar; stir and let sit 2 minutes before using.) For easy dipping, pour into a pie plate. Measure flour, baking powder and seasonings into a paper or plastic bag. Close top and gently shake to mix.
- Dip a piece of chicken into buttermilk mixture, then place in bag with the flour mixture. Close top and gently shake to evenly coat chicken. Place on rack. Repeat with remaining chicken, 1 piece at a time. Discard any flour mixture that does not cling to chicken. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush or dab oil over flour coating on chicken to ensure a crispy crust.
- Bake in centre of oven until coating is crisp and golden – from about 30 minutes for thighs to 40 minutes for larger pieces. Serve with oven fries and crunchy coleslaw.
- Makes 4 servings.
- In a serving: 284 calories, 33.8 g protein, 9.8 g fat, 13.2 g carbohydrates