Classic Vanilla Butter Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake and pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 2 cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper, or line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, or a food processor fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy – about 3-4 minutes – scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth tops. Bake in the centre of the oven until golden brown and puffed, and a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean – about 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Peel off parchment and re-invert cakes. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Makes 2 round cakes (8 or 9 in/20 or 23 cm diameter), 1 rectangular cake (9 x 13 in/23 x 33 cm) or 12 large cupcakes.
- In 1 slice (1⁄12 cake): 320 calories, 4.1 g protein, 17.3 g fat, 37.7 g carbohydrates, 57 mg calcium