1. Games to Go Got a video game fan at home? Then check out Games to Go, a mobile video game service with two travelling theatres available to book. The smaller one has nine player stations, and the big rig has 20 stations. Pick your theatre, then pick which games your child and her buddies would have a blast playing at her party! Options include Skylanders, Lego games, Minecraft and many more. The cost starts at $250 for one-and-a-half hours of playtime for up to five players, and if you have 15 players, the charge is $450. A game coach who will help the kids play and facilitate the fun is part of the deal no matter which package you choose. The theatres are also climate-controlled, so kids are nice and toasty or perfectly cool.
Start planning: 855-482-4263 gamestogo.ca
2. Elliott Smith If you’re looking to bring a little bit of magic to your child’s birthday celebration, magician Elliott Smith has the show for you. Kids aged five and older will be enchanted by his illusions, which are interactive and designed to ensure the birthday child and some of her guests are part of the fun! In fact, the guest of honour receives a Certified Magician’s Assistant diploma after helping Smith with the grand finale! Pricing begins at $195, though could be higher depending on travel time.
Start planning: 613-823-0707 seethemagic.com
3. Busker Birthdays Busker Birthdays was started by parents of young kids, so they definitely know how to keep little ones engaged. Shows are 40 minutes long and include magic tricks, juggling, a bit of comedy and tons of audience participation. And each child gets a balloon sculpture of their choosing afterward. The cost for the basic package is $175 for up to 15 guests, but for an extra $50, kids can be treated to an interactive workshop where they learn two circus tricks!
Start planning: 613-656-7899 buskerbirthdays.com
4. Ottawa Super Parties Bring some action to the party with a superhero or Jedi character! Parties start out with the performer leading kids in training activities like stretches and super-exercises. Then, it’s time for superhero games, followed by superhero dancing—break out those Bat-moves! If you select the Jedi, who they call The Starfighter, then lightsaber training is part of the deal, too! The cost is $160 for an hour-long performance.
Start planning: 613-402-0206 ottawasuperparties.com
5. Little Princess Party Fun Delight your child by hiring a princess to entertain her and her friends at her royal party! Little Princess Party Fun has all of your kid’s favourites, including the Snow Queen, Cinderella and even non-princess characters like Strawberry Shortcake and Barbie. Parents of kids aged three to seven can host a Princess Party, which includes a princess magic show, face painting, singing, interactive game, balloon animals and more! Kids age six to 10 can have fun at a Pop-Star Party, which includes makeovers, sparkle tattoos, a dance lesson and group singing. Prices for both options start at $140. Little Princess Party Fun princesses can perform in English or French.
Start planning: 613-797-9586 littleprincesspartyfun.com
6. Monkey Rock Music It’ll be a boogie-licious bash if you book Monkey Rock Music for your little one’s next birthday party. One of their instructors will come to your home, guitar and a bag of instruments in hand, and lead everyone in singing songs both old and new. Kids get to play along, and there’s also a parachute to have fun with, too! Parties last 45 minutes and cost $159.
Start planning: 613-421-0590 monkeyrockmusic.com
7. Zoo Crew The Zoo Crew will thrill little animal lovers with an interactive show where everyone gets to visit with and learn about critters like leopard geckos, sugar gliders, tortoises and rabbits. The cost is $165 for a one-hour presentation with seven or eight creatures.
Start planning: 613-809-3075 thezoocrew.ca
8. Maker Mobile This creator space comes straight out of the University of Ottawa’s engineering department. The truck is packed with gear like 3D printers, laser cutters and Arduino micro-controllers, all of which are guaranteed to impress your science-loving or tech-savvy kid. Students from the university will bring the truck to your chosen space and use hands-on activities to teach kids aged five to 18 all about the magic of making things. The cost is $150 for 90 minutes for up to 15 kids.