1. South Glenmore Park If you’re looking for a full day of outdoor fun, look no further than South Glenmore. Catering to both toddlers and school-aged kids, the playground, which has a squishy rubber floor, is surrounded by trees to block some of the hot sun’s rays. After wearing themselves out on the triple-slide jungle gym, your kids can find a grassy spot to relax or eat lunch, then cool off by running through the upright jets of the splash pad.
Go play: 90 Ave. & 24 St. SW, Calgary. calgary.ca
2. Renfrew Park Playground Perfect for little kids—five and younger is best—this elaborate play structure is totally accessible. Equipped with ramps, it boasts four swings (including a handicap-accessible and a toddler swing), a trio of slides, chimes and a gong, and an aviation-themed bouncer. If you’ve got a new walker, the grassy soccer field adjacent to the playground is a great spot to work their little legs.
Go play: 811 Radford Rd. NE, Calgary calgary.ca
3. Helicopter Playground Aviation enthusiasts will appreciate this ode to helicopters. Toddlers can waddle over the rubber ground in the little kid-friendly area of the park. Bigger kids can go down the big slide, balance on the teeter-totter, traipse over bouncing saucers and try their luck on the tricky climbing loop, also known as an infinity climber.
Go play: 27th St, and 6th Ave. NW, Calgary
4. Capitol Hill Dinosaur Playground Does your kid love dinosaurs? You’ve got to take them to this dino-mite playground. Each of the climbing structures is designed to look like a prehistoric skeleton. A bevy of poles, ladders and apparatuses will pose an exciting challenge for wee archaeologists.
Go play: 20th Ave. and 15th St. NW, Calgary
5. Kinsmen Zooventure Playground After the tragic flooding in 2013, the Calgary Zoo has bounced back and is better than ever. After paying a visit to the many animals, mini zoologists can slither down the snake-themed slide, monkey around on the enclosed climbing structures or maneuver their way through fun mazes. There’s even a hulking T. rex in the play yard—watch out! Bright giraffe-like play structures are available for pint-sized adventurers.
General admission, $24.95; children 3-15, $16.95; tots 2 and under get in free.
Go play: 1300 Zoo Rd. NE., Calgary. 403-232-9300 calgaryzoo.com
6. Bridgeland Community Centre Playground Padded with repurposed tires, this playground offers something for every age group. The preschool section boasts two ramps and a slide, while older kids can run around or hop on a large saucer swing and take a shot at keeping their balance on suspended balance beams. Kids can explore the merry-go-round climber, slide and musical spinning panels that play classic children’s songs when spun. The park’s pièce de résistance is the pyramid-shaped climber. The adjacent grassy field is a great place to kick around a soccer ball or enjoy a picnic. Open year-round.
Go play: 917 Centre Ave. NE, Calgary. 403-263-5755 brcacalgary.org