Photo: @serenawilliams via Instagram
Tennis champ and all-around cool girl Serena Williams recently announced her pregnancy via Snapchat and of course, the internet is going crazy over it.
Here at TP, we were also freaking out when we heard the news. This is why we think she's gonna rock parenting:
1. She won a Grand Slam while pregnant.
2. She is the reigning queen of endurance. I think it's safe to say she'll be just fine during labour. The longest match of her career was three hours and 26 minutes against Vera Dushevina of Russia in the Madrid Masters, which, of course, she won. Plus, she's got the grunting thing down to a T.
3. She knows all about instilling grit. “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.”
4. Serena doesn't take sh*t from nobody.
Remember that one time she completely shut down a reporter and made him apologize when he criticized her playing after she'd rocked her match? That was amazing. Or that other time she shut down a reporter who asked her why she wasn't smiling? Here's a mom who'll show her kid how to stand up for herself like a boss.
5. Fashion designer mom=stylish baby.
Not that this has anything to do with being a good mother, but we already know her baby will be hella stylish. Watch out, Kardashian kids.
6. She won't spoil her kid rotten. When speaking to the Guardian in 2009, Williams talked about her penny-pinching ways: "I'm so frugal, you wouldn't believe it. Growing up, my mom and dad were so much, 'Don't be like the average athlete, and have all this money and spend it all.' And I always like to want something. I don't want to have everything."
7. She’ll be the ultimate feminist role model.
Serena's always been super body-posi and an amazing role model for girls and women everywhere, and we're sure she'll carry that same attitude into her pregnancy as well. When she won Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year award in 2015, she pointed out in her acceptance speech that it was one of the first times in over 30 years that the media giant was recognizing a woman for the award. "My hope for winning this award is to inspire many, many, many more women—in less than 30 years of course—to stand right here on this podium and accept the Sportsperson of the Year," she said. "Yes, ladies, it can be done."
8. Family is really important to her.
Despite always competing against each other, Serena and her older sister Venus have an amazing relationship.
In fact, their whole family is close-knit and has stuck together through the hardest of times.
Add to that Serena's enviable #relationshipgoals with fiancé and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.
This kid will be so adored!
We’re excited to to follow Serena's journey through pregnancy and parenthood. We already know she'll be keeping us in the loop about everything via Snapchat (she's a Snapchat fanatic). And, we're secretly hoping Serena and Alexis will do an AMA about parenthood, on Reddit, too. However they share their baby updates, we know we're gonna love-love them.