This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes
- Baking time:
- 5 minutes
- 4 Servings
- 1 115 oz can black beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, monced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 bunch fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 flax tortillas
- Empty black beans into a sieve and rinse well.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Toss in onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add spices and stir. Add the beans.
- Roughly mash up the beans with the back of a fork or with a potato masher. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Take off the heat and put aside.
- Wash spinach well, trim the stalks and chop spinach coarsely. In a new pan, drizzle a tiny bit of oil and bring to a medium heat. Add spinach and stir. It will start to wilt immediately. Remove from heat when spinach is soft. Press spinach against the edge of the pan to drain excess water.
- Assemble beans, spinach, tomatoes, cheese and tortillas.
- In a clean pan, drizzle a tiny bit of oil and bring to medium-high heat. Put one tortilla in the pan and spread half the beans, spinach, tomatoes and cheese on it. Cover with another tortilla. Press an iron skillet, or a small plate weighted down with a can of beans, on top to flatten the quesadilla. When the bottom of the tortilla is brown, carefully flip it over and press the other side.
- Repeat step 6.
- Place quesadillas on a cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve with heaping spoonfuls of sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 24 g
- 48 g
- 23 g
- 12 g
- 5 mg
- 983 mg
Introducing the My Family App
Enter your due date or your kid’s birth date to get a customized newsfeed of tips, recipes, developmental advice and health information, plus handy tools like the Nap Tracker and Potty Pal. You’ll love our Storybook feature, which turns your favourite moments into digital scrapbooks.