This article has not been rated yet.
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 375 g beef stir-fry strips or top sirloin steak, cut into strips
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 250g green beans (or 1/2 bunch asparagus), trimmed
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp dark sesame oil, optional
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or basil, optional
- In a medium bowl, stir pineapple juice with hoisin sauce and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat. Let marinate for 20 min.
- Drain beef well, reserving marinade. Stir cornstarch into marinade until dissolved. Lightly coat a large frying pan with vegetable oil and set over high heat. When oil is hot, add beef. Cook, stirring often, until no pink remains, 2 to 3 min. Stir in leftover marinade. Add carrots, beans and onion. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are done as you like, 3 to 5 min. Stir in sesame oil and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve over steamed rice or egg noodles.
Swap chicken for beef and mix in sugar snap peas, broccoli or peppers, too.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 20 g
- 21 g
- 5 g
- 3 g
- 280 mg