( 17 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 8 hours
- 4 – 6 servings
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 4 cups sodium-free chicken stock
- 1/2 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apple
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- dried apple chips
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium. Add onion and saute? for 2 min or until softened. Add ginger and curry paste and saute for 1 min, stirring to coat onion with curry paste.
- Scrape mixture into slow cooker and pour a little chicken stock into frying pan to dissolve any spices.
- Pour flavoured stock from pan into slow cooker along with remaining stock, water and cider.
- Add sweet potatoes and apples, cover and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Transfer soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker, to pure?e soup. Season with salt to taste, and thin with a little extra water if necessary.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of sour cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and an apple chip, if desired.
It’s easy to adapt your favourite soup recipes for the slow cooker. Just remember that a slow cooker evaporates less liquid than your stovetop, so you may want to cut back your liquid volume by 1 cup. Also, remember that because a slow cooker’s temperature is lower, a soup you’d normally simmer for 30 min will take 6 to 8 hrs on low.
Introducing the My Family App
Enter your due date or your kid’s birth date to get a customized newsfeed of tips, recipes, developmental advice and health information, plus handy tools like the Nap Tracker and Potty Pal. You’ll love our Storybook feature, which turns your favourite moments into digital scrapbooks.