( 44 ratings )
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 8 hours
- 4 – 6 servings
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 4 cups sodium-free chicken stock
- 1/2 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apple
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- dried apple chips
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium. Add onion and saute? for 2 min or until softened. Add ginger and curry paste and saute for 1 min, stirring to coat onion with curry paste.
- Scrape mixture into slow cooker and pour a little chicken stock into frying pan to dissolve any spices.
- Pour flavoured stock from pan into slow cooker along with remaining stock, water and cider.
- Add sweet potatoes and apples, cover and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Transfer soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker, to pure?e soup. Season with salt to taste, and thin with a little extra water if necessary.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of sour cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and an apple chip, if desired.
It’s easy to adapt your favourite soup recipes for the slow cooker. Just remember that a slow cooker evaporates less liquid than your stovetop, so you may want to cut back your liquid volume by 1 cup. Also, remember that because a slow cooker’s temperature is lower, a soup you’d normally simmer for 30 min will take 6 to 8 hrs on low.