This article has not been rated yet.
- 4 to 4 servings
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 6 cups (1.5 L) beef broth (reconstituted canned is fine)
- 4 thick slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- 1 cup (250 mL) Swiss or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, s-l-o-w-l-y sauté the sliced onions in the butter until golden brown. This will take longer than you’d expect – maybe 30 minutes or so. Don’t try to rush it. Add the beef broth and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper – but go easy because canned broth tends to be pretty salty already.
- Ladle the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Float a slice of toasted bread in each one, and sprinkle evenly with the grated cheese. Put the bowls on a baking sheet, turn the oven to broil and cook for a couple of minutes, until the cheese melts and gets bubbly.