This article has not been rated yet.
- 4 to 4 servings
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 6 cups (1.5 L) beef broth (reconstituted canned is fine)
- 4 thick slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- 1 cup (250 mL) Swiss or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, s-l-o-w-l-y sauté the sliced onions in the butter until golden brown. This will take longer than you’d expect – maybe 30 minutes or so. Don’t try to rush it. Add the beef broth and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper – but go easy because canned broth tends to be pretty salty already.
- Ladle the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Float a slice of toasted bread in each one, and sprinkle evenly with the grated cheese. Put the bowls on a baking sheet, turn the oven to broil and cook for a couple of minutes, until the cheese melts and gets bubbly.
Introducing the My Family App
Enter your due date or your kid’s birth date to get a customized newsfeed of tips, recipes, developmental advice and health information, plus handy tools like the Nap Tracker and Potty Pal. You’ll love our Storybook feature, which turns your favourite moments into digital scrapbooks.