This article has not been rated yet.
- 16 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- decorating supplies (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 16 muffin-tin compartments with paper cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy – about 3-4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in pumpkin purée. On low speed, alternately stir flour mixture and milk into butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake liners, filling each 3⁄4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes; they’re done when a toothpick poked into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, with no batter clinging to it.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely.
- To decorate lion critter: Tint canned vanilla icing with orange food colouring. Smooth icing overtop cupcakes. Use toasted flaked almonds to create the lion’s mane. Then cut a gumdrop in half for cheeks, and create eyes with semi-sweet chocolate chips. Use a small pink candy for the nose and black licorice for whiskers. (Have fun creating your own critters by adapting these instructions.)
- Makes 16 cupcakes.
- In 1 cupcake: 271 calories, 3.0 g protein, 9.6 g fat, 44.2 g carbohydrates, 33 mg calcium
Introducing the My Family App
Enter your due date or your kid’s birth date to get a customized newsfeed of tips, recipes, developmental advice and health information, plus handy tools like the Nap Tracker and Potty Pal. You’ll love our Storybook feature, which turns your favourite moments into digital scrapbooks.