This article has not been rated yet.
- Baking time:
- 20 minutes
- 4 servings
- 2 balls pizza dough, store-bought or homemade, each 700?750 g
- 1 cup (250 mL) store-bought tomato pasta sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 sweet peppers, preferably a mix of colour, cut into rings
- 8 oz (225 g) sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 2 pepperoni sticks, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). With oil, generously spray a 12-15 in (30-38 cm) diameter pizza pan and two 9 X 13 in (3 L) baking dishes.
- Lightly flour the counter. Cut 1⁄3 from first dough ball and set aside for a calzone. Place remaining 2⁄3 of dough ball on floured counter. Press, roll out and stretch into a pizza to fit your pizza pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap. (If the pizza pan has holes, wrap bottom as well.) Freeze until ready to use for Play-It-Again Pizza, up to 3 days.
- Cut second dough ball into thirds. With reserved third from first dough ball, you’ll have 4 pieces of dough in total. Roll, press and shape each piece into a rough circle, each 8 in (20 cm) in diameter.
- Spread 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce over half of each circle, leaving the edge uncovered. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle each with 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) cheese. Scatter half of peppers, mushrooms, and pepperoni, if using, overtop. Cover and refrigerate remaining half for Play-It-Again Pizza toppings, up to 3 days.
- Fold uncovered dough half over the half with ingredients. Crimp edges. Repeat with remaining calzones. Using a large spatula, carefully move calzones so there are 2 calzones in each oiled baking dish. Lightly brush each with oil.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until golden on bottom, 20-25 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. (Caution: Filling will be hot.)
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 32 g
- 33 g
- 116 mg
- 7.5 mg
- 7 mg
- Extra nutrients info2
- 881 g
- Extra nutrients info3
- 220 g