This article has not been rated yet.
- 4 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, squished
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- ¾ cup (175 mL) sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tbsp./15 mL dried)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1 bunch broccoli, (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) pine nuts (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) angel hair or other pasta (like spaghetti or linguine)
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for sprinkling
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium-low. Add the garlic and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden. Add the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and the broccoli florets and cook for another 5 minutes, until the broccoli turns bright green and is crisp but tender. Add the pine nuts and season to taste with salt and pepper. (You can make the sauce a little ahead of time and reheat it when you cook the pasta.)
- When you’re ready to eat, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy. Drain well. Toss sauce with hot pasta and serve immediately, with some Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.
Introducing the My Family App
Enter your due date or your kid’s birth date to get a customized newsfeed of tips, recipes, developmental advice and health information, plus handy tools like the Nap Tracker and Potty Pal. You’ll love our Storybook feature, which turns your favourite moments into digital scrapbooks.